Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Kindness

 

 

Giving


 

"Before giving, the mind of the giver is happy; while giving the mind of a giver is made peaceful; and having given, the mind of the giver is uplifted." - Buddha

 




 

As I was approaching thirty-nine, I had time on my hands for the first time in my life, so I decided to write a list of things to do before I am forty. (At some point I will blog about the list). One of the things on my list is to do forty acts of kindness. This list really had me thinking about life's givers and taker's!

Sometimes maybe we need to take stock and think about how much we give and take. It has made me rethink something's in my life. And guess what? Giving feels pretty good!

 

Ways to Give


 

Actions

Think about conversations... Do you listen as well as speak? Do you let people ask how you are and not them? I feel like I could be guilty of speaking too much in the past, but I am trying to be mindful of it now!

Be thankful and say thank you, especially to the people you care about... Don' t take them for granted!




 

Charity

After working for a charity for over ten years, I am aware that some people feel money given can be wasted, but when the funding gets through and reaches the ground, the worker's doing the real jobs with vulnerable people they really make a difference. Do It

I enjoy giving to charity, money, clothes, shoes, toys, food and my time. This week after sorting my daughter's playroom we took some toys to St Francis Hospice, it's a our local hospice and I know the brilliant work they do with people who are terminally ill. The staff were so thankful, and I felt good knowing they would raise money by selling our stuff. St Francis Hospice

 




 

Food Banks

People sometimes need a little help, you can sit and argue that people get benefit's, spend their money unwisely (who hasn't been guilty of that), but there are genuinely people on very low incomes. For me as I walk out of my local supermarket there's a trolley to put in food for the local food bank and I try to add something to it.

It's harvest festival time and all over England, schools, churches, community group's will be collecting food, so if you have any in date tins/packages in you're cupboard your not going to use, why not give to someone who will.

I went to visit a Sikh Temple - Gurdwara it was truly inspirational, they run a kitchen (staffed by volunteers) that feed people who need it; they do not turn anybody away, serving vegetable curry and rice.

 


 

 

Time

Giving time when you are working and raising a family it is so hard. Try to give in your everyday life experiences, your family/friends do they need helping, at work help a colleague or a student, listen to someone who needs to talk. If you have more time, help out at your children's club's or school. Share your skills. Volunteer for a local charity, something that you are passionate about. Or plan a charity event or challenge. At the moment I am volunteering for Age Concern, it's a two way give, I am giving my time and skills,  and they are giving their knowledge and training.

 

 

Give Blood

This too is on my forty list, and last week I gave blood for the second time. My dear Gran who was a wonderful Christian women gave blood many times, right up until they would no longer take it. It's taken me this long to get brave, and when my dear friend had her first blood transfusion that got me in the chair. It certainly was not as scary as I thought, second time was much better and it's the best excuse I've ever had to eat a packet of crisps lol (they give you a snack after). One in thirty give blood, but one in three will need it. (Food for thought)  Give Blood




And it is!



Time, energy, and income's vary but if you can't give anything else...

 

 ♥ KINDNESS IS FREE ♥

 

 

 (Disclaimer the images are not mine, thank you Google Images)