Friday, 6 March 2015

Mood Boosting

 



 

Need a Pick Me Up

Research into the link between food and depression is ongoing. One thing is certain if you look after yourself it most definitely gives you an instant 'pick me up'.

 

Brazil nuts

They are a great provided of the mineral selenium. Studies have shown increased depression, irritability, anxiety and tiredness in people with low selenium levels – so by just eating a few Brazil nuts a couple of times a week might help to improve your mood. More info netdoctor.co.uk



Spinach

I am a spinach lover; I enjoy it fresh in sandwiches, wraps and salads. I place it plentiful in my husband's work sandwiches because we all know the pleasing effects it had on Popeye the sailor man! It helps keep up your B vitamin levels which can help with your serotonin levels (an association has been made between depression and serotonin levels, but scientists are still working out the exact link). Spinach also contains magnesium. if you are deficient in magnesium it can cause fatigue and headaches.



(Ignore the pipe in no way do I advocate that, I was thinking more the muscles & strength.
Image www.comicvine.com)



Whole Grains

Whole grains, brown rice, porridge oats, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat pasta are all good choices of complex carbohydrate. They help the body release serotonin. Full list of Complex Carbohydrates here.

 


Image overactivelife.com





Omega 3 Fatty Acid

Get enough Omega 3 into your diet by eating walnuts, flaxseeds, beans, fish, olive oil and squashes. Research suggests that by eating omega 3's we may be able to improve our mental health as omega 3's help to insulate nerve cells in the brain, allowing these nerve cells to better communicate with one another. More info Omega 3 Fatty Acid






Image resourcenaturopathy.com

 




If you need a most boost remember...

The Magic is in You!

Image vimeo.com




www.diabetes.org.uk/get_involved/fundraising-events/swim22/

 

 I have started my swimming challenge, my friend and I are completing it together 1056 lengths of our local swimming pool - 22 miles. We have together formed a 'Super Team'; we have until the 22nd May 2015 to complete the challenge. We are only going once a week and swimming for 45 minutes. She is a long term swimmer, me I just started in January so I know she'll be completing more lengths but I do hope to get faster over the next 12 weeks.