Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Women's Sport Week


 

Image's Sport England 'This Girl Can'

 

'Women's Sport Week' 1st - 7th June here in the UK. Women in Sport have been raising awareness and campaigning to address the fact that men play more sport than women - 31% of women take part in sports verses 40% of men - stats from Sport England.


I love Sport England's campaign title - 'This Girl Can' This sums up the feeling's you need to get started. I also love their advertising that shows women of differing ages, body shapes and abilities taking part in sport - I think sometimes it puts women off taking the steps to try a new activity because they think everybody is going to be super fit, super slim and brilliant at it. Let's help break these barriers as everybody starts somewhere!


I am an advocate of supporting more sport and exercise for all! Starting my own journey of increasing exercise last year. My motto is 'Move if you can!'

 

 

Image from www.janetv.com



Steps to Get Women into Sport

 

  • Let's get our children into sports. Children model our behaviour if you are a couch potato, chances are your children will follow suit. Especially when they hit their early teens, when it's easy to drop out of participation because friends are not doing it or because it's not cool.

  • Sometimes we are so busy as women, running around after our children's after school clubs/social lives that with all our different commitments we do not make time for ourselves. If this is you - try doing activities with your family (it does get easier as children get a little older) - swimming, ice skating/roller blading, badminton, tennis, walks/hikes, rounder's, swing ball, cycling.

  • Complete a charity event, I have blogged about my 'Shine Night Walk' for Cancer Research and 'Swim 22' for DiabetesUK, and my next challenge is 'Race for Life' for Cancer Research. These events are a great motivator to get you started or to increase your fitness at the same time as raising money. Get your friends to sign up with you, believe me I really thought when I signed up for 13.1mile half walking marathon that everybody was going to be athlete standard and that I would stand out like a sore thumb, but there was a complete mix of abilities.

  • Let's spread the word - The benefits of sports and exercise are truly underutilised. The massive feel good factor, the health benefits, social aspects and the belief in your self that comes with accomplishing goals - we should be shouting it from the roof tops!

    For more information check out Women in Sport